First Solo Vinyl -1990

 
 
Christopher (1991) From left: Wayne Booth, Jon Brown, Ian Finney, Andy Starkey
Photo by Greg Clucas


In 1990, St Helens Musicians Collective received funding and released a compilation album of the ‘best local bands’.

I’d just formed my band Christopher and I was asked to contribute a track. The band wasn’t ready so my brother-in-law who was managing us suggested I record a track on my own as the deadline was coming.

I recorded the entire track myself in one afternoon at Pentagon Studios in Widnes. I wasn’t happy with the results because my voice dried up, but time was short. A prime rule of studio recording is: don't rush it.

Jennifer Fever - Jane Weaver’s first band - was also on the album and it was the first time I tried my hand at production with anyone other than myself. I actually did nothing more that offer a few slight arrangement suggestions. On 'Touch' I produced and arranged the entire song.

The song was played on Mark Radcliffe’s show on Radio 5 -Hit The North- and also featured in Granada Reports. Mark said it could have been a hit if it got the right backing behind it. As usual, I didn't have proper guidance or management.
I've edited the end of the vinyl transfer (see below) to include his comment, for posterity.


 


Pic used for the inside-sleeve art, by Greg Clucas 1990

The song was written in 1990 after my first proper relationship had ended badly. I was 23 years old. I took it quite hard.


Later in 1990 (October I think) I started taking the band seriously and we began auditions and rehearsals. Christopher came to be, as a real band, at the end of 1990.

An extra piece of trivia: I later sold the guitar I used to record 'Touch' with to Rozalla's manager Chris Sergeant.

Here's the track in all it's naive vinyl form.

























The full track listing:

WHAT'S THE I*D*E*A (1990) 

Idea 001

SIDE 1

Right Off  -Those Naughty Corinthians
Family Sinners - The Nice Party
The Clever Ones - More Perfect Watchers
Right On - The Tansads
My Kingdom - Sky Blue Life
Christopher - Touch

SIDE2

Tin of Beans - Volunteers
Sensation Machine - Gnarl
Micronaught - Strawberry Girl
She Burns Alone - Limebirds
Near - Jennifer Fever
The Thought You Thought You Was - Poisoned Electrik Head


Comments

  1. Hi Ian, I'm not sure if you will see this, but worth a try. I'm trying to get in touch with Jon Brown who I played in a few Widnes bands with in the 80s. I don't suppose you have a contact for him? thanks, Andy Maclure

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry about the delay Andy, I've sent you a PM on Facebook.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts