For John

For John

 John, Me, Andy, Phil, Brod
 

I'm writing this in shock and disbelief, since it was only yesterday that I learned John McParland, my old friend, colleague and fellow musician, had passed away.

I first met John when I was 19 years old.

In summer 1986 I met my old theater tutor Mark Taylor while browsing comic books in WH Smiths and he suggested I come into college and hang out.
Then I met Andy Steele, John McParland and Mark 'Brod' Ward. I saw them hanging out together and discovered they were all musicians. I'd written some songs which in my mind were supposed to sound like a punky version of The Beatles and I was itching to form a band. I thought these guys were cool, so I stuck around and we became friends.
They already had a band called The Gardos, (which also included Russ Taylor, and Andy McLure), which played Housemartin covers including 'The Mighty Ship' and 'Build'. They played their last gig at Widnes Labour Club in December 1986 and I spoke to Andy at the bar. I asked if we could form a band together and he said sure - if I bought him a whiskey. I did and we shook hands on it. A few weeks later me, Andy, John and Brod rehearsed in Pentagon Studios with a new drummer, Phill Smith, and a new name – The Snakeskins – and so began one of the best times of my life, and so I believe, one of the best times for many others too.

We played gigs with our band, we partied, we lived only as teenagers could; with fire in our hearts and an innocent hedonism that only paused at the next hangover. I reclaimed the lost teen years I'd spent playing as a musician professionally in London. I'd not had a girlfriend or social life for that entire period and I was now unleashed into a world of college students and I met a girl, settling into a long-term relationship with her.
I was never happier - with my life and with the band.


  Top: Me, Phill, Brod; Bottom: Andy, John. Taken near John's home, Cronton 1987.


As a band, The Snakeskins quickly became a local favourite and we competed in Liverpool's Battle of the Bands, coming second place. Later we were told by Herman, a local studio owner, that the votes had been miscounted and we had in fact technically won.

Looking back in hindsight, I think the only thing The Snakeskins got wrong as a band was that we had no management. We didn't know what we were doing. Without that guidance and professional voice, we lost out. Apart from that, from my experience previously and my experience since, I have no doubt we could have gone further.

We were very young and needed firm management that could have helped us at a critical point and changed an outcome.
We sat in the MD's office at Island Records with A&R James Dowdall and the MD himself asked us “Why should I sign you?”
No one spoke.
He was stroking his chin muttering “I don't know if I should sign you...I just don't know....”
There was a long pause then he said “sorry boys” and James Dowdall covered his face with the palms of his hands and shook his head, like he was aghast that his boss was making a huge mistake.

Despite what differences people had back then and what mistakes were made, especially on account of our youth, it does not diminish those wonderful golden times that we shared together. 

John was always an integral part of our sound and of any band he played in. His harmony vocals blended with Andy's so well and they had a McCartney-esque quality to them, with an impressively high range. I also saw him grow from a novice guitarist into a true professional, which later led to him playing with Manbreak, a signed band whose music was featured on MTV and the Mortal Kombat: Annihilation movie soundtrack. He also played with Jane Weaver during her Kill Laura days and released his own music.

John was a great guy. I know that sounds like a cliche, but he genuinely was. He was a good friend. A gentle person. A talented musician and a pleasure to be with and work with. Generous with his time and attention, kind in thought and action and just simply a good person.
As far as I know, he nursed both his parents when they were very sick. I'd recently heard that he'd found some balance and pushed beyond his own challenges and was full of plans. John always took care of people. When a friend of his had a stroke, he visited him in hospital and spoon-fed him.

That was John in a nutshell. One of the good guys. One of the best.

So long old friend, all my love, and may God bless you on your journey forward x



John, Brod, Phill, Me, Andy


Comments

Popular Posts